Just as no two people are alike, each individual diagnosed with multiple sclerosis will experience it uniquely. In fact, the unpredictability of the progression of the disease can make managing it challenging. Yet there are some common symptoms that occur in many cases of MS, and we at THE MEDICAL TEAM have compiled some helpful tips for coping with them.
- Exhaustion and weariness can impact quality of life for many MS patients. To maintain the highest level of energy possible throughout the day, try:
- Breaking up the day with several short power naps.
- Keeping a journal of energy levels throughout the day, and schedule activities and tasks according to higher energy times.
- Although it may seem counterintuitive, consuming energy drinks is surprisingly ineffective, as the resulting sugar rush drains energy levels. Maintaining a healthy diet and avoiding processed and fast foods is a better option.
- Cognitive issues. Problems with attention span and memory can be decreased through the following strategies:
- Utilizing technology and/or hand-written notes for reminders.
- Making physical exercise a priority. The doctor can recommend an appropriate exercise routine.
- Request a referral from the physician for cognitive rehabilitation, available through a neuropsychologist or occupational therapist.
- Vision concerns. It’s important for those with MS to receive annual eye exams, but the following can also be tried:
- Give your eyes plenty of breaks from looking at your phone or computer, TV, and reading materials.
- If problems with double vision are being experienced, an eye patch can help.
- Ask the eye doctor if there are any medications available for the particular vision challenges you’re facing.
One of the best ways to overcome the challenges presented by MS is by partnering with a professional home health care agency, like THE MEDICAL TEAM. Based on each person’s particular needs, we can help with any or all of the following types of in-home care assistance:
- A full range of skilled nursing care services
- In-home physical, occupational and speech therapy
- Personal care needs
- Housekeeping and meal preparation
- Companionship and accompaniment to medical appointments and outings
- Wellness programs and so much more
To learn more about our services, available throughout the areas of New Orleans, Detroit, Austin, Dallas, and metro DC, contact us any time.