There’s nothing better than having the whole family gather together to celebrate the holiday season, and in many cases, it’s one of a limited number of opportunities for family members who live at a distance to visit in person with older loved ones. In the midst of the merriment, the holidays provide an ideal opportunity to take stock of the health and well-being of your aging parents.
- Is there an unusual amount of clutter – stacks of mail or newspapers, dishes in the sink, etc.?
- Are foods in the pantry and fridge fresh, or is there expired food?
- Do you notice any scorch marks or other indicators that a cooking mishap may have occurred?
The senior’s health:
- Has your loved one gained or lost a significant amount of weight, without trying?
- Does the senior seem forgetful or confused, or is she repeating herself in conversations?
- Is the senior challenged with balance or other ambulation issues?
- Are any medications expired?
- Does the senior have a pill box or other system for organizing medications?
- Is the senior complaining about experiencing any side effects?
If you notice any red flags in answering these questions, or pick up on any other areas of concern, it’s important to have a heart-to-heart conversation with the senior right away. Although you may feel as though it’s best to wait until after the holidays, addressing these issues immediately is crucial to keeping your loved one safe from harm.
It’s also a good idea to schedule an appointment as soon as possible with the senior’s primary care physician to share your concerns and enlist his or her guidance on how best to proceed.
Engaging the services of THE MEDICAL TEAM can ensure your aging parents remain safe and well throughout the year, enabling family members to breathe easier and enjoy the holiday season to the fullest. Our trained and highly skilled home health care team can pick up on changes in a senior’s condition as they occur, and immediately alert designated family members and medical professionals.
To learn more about our professional home health care services, contact THE MEDICAL TEAM. We’re available for as much or as little care as needed throughout New Orleans, Detroit, Austin, Dallas, metro DC and the surrounding areas.